A lady named Peggy Cramer

 Spent some time today thinking about hospice clients I had over a period of years, one who came to mind was Peggy Cramer of the original founders of Cramer Sporting Goods. She lived in the original mid century home built by her father in the 1960’s and still intact to original build after her retirement as a leading Architect/designer in KC, breaking glass ceilings long before trend or aspiration of doing so. Amassed her wealth designing for corporations across Kansas City.Always doing things her way.

 

On a personal level Peggy enjoyed having a High Ball with her dinner showing me from her bar just how she liked them. She passed from this world of Parkinson’s disease though was quick in thinking to the end. The day Peggy saw people come in and proceed to replace her bed with a hospital bed she looked at me and asked if I would stay with her in the bed until it was over. 

 

Meticulous about placement of objects in her home as part of her design eye, she could spend hours rearranging her fireplace mantle. A very gentle soul who could bark out her wants in a deep voice! When I first met her everyone seemed to lean into her in speaking, so I leaned in too speak and she said “there is nothing wrong with my hearing!” I asked her why people did it then, she just said “that’s not my problem!”

 

Her niece who resided in the house as well one day told me “I finally figured out the name for you. It’s Peace, you are peace in the room. To date, one of the nicest compliments I have received.

 

At one time Peggy must have been a large woman and her neck was very heavy like a Turkey. On my last afternoon I spent with Peggy I watched as the flesh on her neck seemed to just disappear and a beautiful lady emerged. Might just have been my eyes, though decades vanished from her face. When I left the last afternoon, an hour later I received the call she was gone. Some how though under her comfort pack of fentanyl and morphine she knew I left the room as she did as well.

 

Will never forget you Peggy or how you inspired in both work and life. You were special, lived life your way and busted the hell out of ceiling’s before other’s attempted. The piece of my heart you have, take care of it and I will likewise.

 

Namaste’

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Safety should be considered first when granting parole

The Parable of the Fork - Author unknown

Spiritual Windows – My perception