Passing a letter forward after 70 years

I have an album my mother created containing all of my fathers army papers,etc. from WW2 when he was an office in Egypt. Inside what a letter from a mother of a soldier in his platoon thanking him and hoping they would all be home soon. Starting a search for her on the internet, I found her obituary along with the soldier who lived to be 89. Looking at the list of survivors, I found the name of his son who is a sheriff in Mississippi.

Scanned the letter and sent the document in an email to the sheriff to show what his grandmother had done long ago during an uncertain war, with the only communication being the post office and a hope she had the letter would find it's way. It was nice to learn he son lived a long life and had a family.Seemed like the thing to do and if I hear back from his grandson it would be nice, though not necessary.

What I did discover from finding the letter and researching, was a moment in time of my father and appreciation that was shown by taking a chance on a letter reaching the other side of the world to say Thank you! My dad never spoke of the war, I know he could fly and did the best he could to keep himself and his soldiers safe in a foreign land. Being an excellent shot with a gun since very young, after the war he did not own a gun in his life.He was peaceful yet had a strong Irish temper when pushed to the wall. Maybe some of those traits helped those he was entrusted to care for in Egypt, and the knowledge that at least some came home again. If I hear from a Mississippi sheriff I will update this piece at a later date. Proud of you Dad!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Safety should be considered first when granting parole

The Parable of the Fork - Author unknown

Spiritual Windows – My perception