For the love of a Pyrenees called Comet

I have written in the past about dogs which I had, Forbes, Brenna, Belle. One I have not written about is Comet. After losing Forbes and Brenna and almost losing Belle when she was ran over by a car, I really had no interest in another dog. In the Spring of the same year, my son thought another dog would be great mother's day gift. He searched and searched for just the right dog and feeling he found a Labradoodle pup would be a perfect addition. Young pups almost ready to leave the mother he peaked my interest. Sadly, just as we got excited about taking a 2 hour trip to pick up the pup, a message was received the whole litter had died from a bad vaccination they received. Determined not to give up, he searched again.

Across the state line, a vet had a rescue mainly for pit bulls though she had one Pyrenees mix up for adoption. A couple of days later I agreed to visit the rescue and meet a dog which had been tagged with the name Popcorn. Strange name for a dog, given due to freckles on his nose. Being led out into the back area of the property, on my left was a large pen of more pit bulls then I could count. At the time, Kansas City, MO had levied so many restrictions on Pit Bulls rescues could not keep up with the intake of the breed being given up by families. Beyond the Pit Bulls I seen a large woolly pup standing and looking lost in the mix. Estimated to be eight-months old he still had growing to do despite his size at the time.

I called out to him as Popcorn without any response. Frustrated, in my mind I asked him for a name and the first response was “Comet”. Okay, Popcorn was not working so I called out for him as Comet and he came running, even though he had been watching he would not move until that point. Comet he was and going home, he did. I really was not interested in him, knowing my son would take great care of him I kept my distance from him. Becoming attached to him was not of interest to me. Forbes was gone, the one I truly considered mine of the heart, along with Brenna and Belle along with her sister Molly were already attached to my son. I was free to say no to anymore.

The thing about animals, we really do not pick them. An animal, cat, dog or any from the animal kingdom will set their sites on who they consider a human partner. As much as I tried to deny Comet, he would lie by my desk during the day and never separate himself as being to far away. I could shoo him, move him, take him outside to play and still he would once again attach himself. I thought “what is wrong with him, he is just a pup and acts like an old dog!'

Each day without me really aware, he edged in closer and closer to my heart. He grew from a pup which seemed to be all legs into a beautiful friend. Just loving to be loved. When I decided to move from my to an apartment I arranged for a year to foster him out with the hopes of bringing him home again someday. That did not happen and he went to a new family. As I was driving one day I saw who I thought was him in the backyard of a house a few miles away. Stopping and verifying it was him and tempted to approach him I stopped myself feeling the act would be unfair to all. Occasionally I would drive by the house and just look at him until one day he was gone and the occupants as well. Wished him well with his new family and let him know wherever he might be, he would forever have a home in my heart.

What can remain without separation regardless of loss in life are the memories which are an imprint we choose to retain. Someday when I leave this world, there just might be more animals than human energies to meet again, all have equal parts in my heart and the love they brought to life in this world. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Safety should be considered first when granting parole

The Parable of the Fork - Author unknown

Spiritual Windows – My perception