Next time yiu look into the eyes of a server - remember this

 My daughter posted this today on Face Book. Servers have walked many miles you have not seen and next time you look into the eyes of your server I hope you remember this piece in empathy not sympathy.Just one in many moments of a single mother who desperately loves and works to provide for her sons. Are they worth your time and money? You are worth theirs. This holiday season, look with the heart rather than the first impression you might have, could be your server today has more of a story than you could  have perceived.

Today I served a woman and before I could even say hello she looked at me and said "You look tired, those are really dark circles under your eyes.". Seriously !?!
Dear Miss Judgmental,
You do not know me so allow me to introduce myself, I am the book you chose to judge by its cover. I am a single mother who has fought hard for every dark shade under my eyes. While you may find it upsetting, the family and friends that love me see the love I have for my sons in those eyes. I would like to say it is just a holiday look, but it is my every day look. From the time I get up until the time I go to bed I work hard to give my sons every opportunity in this world. I rarely miss a school event, baseball game or Scout meeting. I have a son who will finish his requirements for his first college degree next month (he owns the deepest darkest beautiful shades under my eyes). I gladly give up moments of rest to celebrate moments in their lives. Some of the other shades belong to others in my world, because I would rather have those around me comfortable than comfort for myself. I do not ask from others very often, instead I dig deep and do it without complaint. My intent is not to give a sob, woe is me story. My intent is the next time you see the dark circles, pain or joy around ones eyes that you understand we all have stories and they go deeper then the cover.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Safety should be considered first when granting parole

The Parable of the Fork - Author unknown

Spiritual Windows – My perception