It has been a good day

I was working with my Alzheimer's client today and at times she would become so frustrated with herself when a thought would slip into the void between what she was thinking and the words to express. Worried that tomorrow that thought might never come again. I asked her if anybody really had any certainty about tomorrow and what life would hold? She said that really we just don't know. So, where would that make you different from the rest of the world without Alzheimer's? She just responded we are kind of all in the same boat, she just has a name for her illness. I laughed with her on that one and suggested when this day ended, to just try to remember it was a good day and let go. At some point the illness will take her questions as it has taken many of her tasks away now she enjoyed. Her love of cooking has been replaced with all knobs removed from the stove for her own safety.

I fixed her some hot soup for lunch and she refused to eat alone, so I shared some crackers while she ate in a way that was continually pushing her medicine under the plate as if unnoticed. I told her the medicine "rolled" under the plate and it might be better if she took the medicine before it all rolled away. Gave her a chance to "recover" the medicine and take it as intended. Even in Alzheimer's, respect is shown for life and the way she questions and lives through the day. Today, she preferred to have someone to talk to rather than complete the household tasks. On a day when talk is desired, she had my full attention. Her mind was clear today about 75% of the time and tomorrow could be the opposite when housework could be done. With those I work with, tomorrow is very uncertain on many levels and yet they show me life in many forms I might not see without the perspective they are gifting. I nicknamed her Peaches, not her real name though she was named for a Peach which was considered #1 when she was born. Rest well Peaches, today was a good day.

Jack also today seemed to be very energized and happy. He is so appreciative for even the smallest things which are done. For somebody who is unable to be very mobile, a clean straightened bed is like candy. When asked what he would like for dinner, his wish was only mashed potatoes with butter. I prepared him a sandwich on wheat with bacon and cheese and mashed potatoes like a small mountain on the plate. Not sure Thanksgiving would have received a bigger roar of delight. When he completed his dinner he looked at his stomach and said "I guess you are going to be quiet tonight and we'll both sleep well" and then laughed. He spoke for a time about the future and leaving this world. I told him he had nothing to fear and before he realized he had left, the transition probably will already have completed. Then he watched "Mike and Molly" and was still laughing when I left. He has questions, I try to answer in the best way I know of to give him peace of mind and yet, still desire portions of this world he is still a part of.

I am a guest in the lives of my clients for today, maybe tomorrow or weeks from now, yet at the end of the day if each of us can look back and say "it has been a good day!" there is a completion of life in this moment. Appreciating the NOW, which is all that is really known.

It has been a good day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Safety should be considered first when granting parole

The Parable of the Fork - Author unknown

Spiritual Windows – My perception